The Short Version: Obtaining a Biopsy
Yesterday was a good day full of lots of info, nice doc’s, good energy and good sunshine!
- We went to two pediatric neurosurgeons and realized that pediatrics is the way to go! They are much nicer! They put "scopes and things" into smaller places with ease, they are used to lots of questions (from parents), and are used to kids climbing all over and not being able to sit still! (KJ!)
- We took films to Dr. Andy Reisner, the pediatric and adult neurosurgeon at Scottish Rite: he said an endoscopic procedure is the way to go with much less risk than the open brain (crainiotomy) surgery . . . the "hatchback," as Mary calls it (they love that!). He agrees that a biopsy is needed in order to proceed with anything (or nothing). He saw us as a favor to read the films. We see him "officially" on Friday.
- We saw Dr. David Wruble at Emory, he works with Dr. Olson, who did the original shunt. He was delightful & restored some confidence in us with Emory. He said similar things re the endoscopic approach.
- The biggest risks to this procedure are: bleeding and if severe would go to emergency open craniotomy; infection, and possible memory loss (in forming immediate/short term memory . . . i.e., the movie "MOMENTO" if you saw that…but on a lesser scale). These risks are still MUCH lower than the open procedure & thus more palatable.
- ENDOSCOPY (similar to a periscope) is a newer technique in the "brain field." The docs are younger, "still smell like pee" as Mary says. It is sort of like wanting a teenager to fix your computer instead of your grandmother . . . they do much better at Nintendo-type hand skills!
- Still waiting to hear from Duke.
- PROBABLY will expect to have a biopsy in the next 2-3 weeks -- 1-2 days in the hospital instead of 5-7 days.
- In the meantime, Mary is healing daily. This info is very positive & hopeful.
- She is going to a healing/spiritual workshop this Sun/Mon/Tues. If anyone wants to be her "date," let her/us know. KJ will go on Sunday.
- Most appreciative of you all!
M/KJ

6 Comments:
Thanks so much for keeping us in the light with these posts! The Pediatric procedures sound promising.
Yep, those younger guys surely are skilled in the fine motor movement department! ;) And, they don't even have to wear reading glasses to see up close!
Hope the week is a good one, Mary, and that the workshop and sunshine bring even more healing. (If I were there I would take you to the ball!) I miss you, girlie wurlie!
'God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you'
xoxo
Thanks for all the news and the humor! The news is good! I can be a "date" one day, Monday or Tuesday, if needed. Just let me know.
Love,
Link
Sounds like promising news! YEA!!!Thanks so much for filling us in. The "still smells like pee" line made me laugh out loud.
I wish I didn't have to work and I would be too happy to go to the healing/spiritual workshop with you. I would love to see you period...it's been what? Thirty years? What's three decades among friends, eh?
I will check back in tomorrow. Sweet dreams Girls!
With love,
Vic
Mary,
I'm so glad you got to go to the mountains, and I really enjoyed the pictures. I hope your workshop feeds your soul. Love to you and Kimball.
Tricia B.
mary and kimball,
this most recent report on which way to go..is very promising and sounds much better/easier too!
mary, i have been impressed (but not surprised) with all your 'homies' support..i know i have not seen you in awhile and i don't even know you that well ..but i do know the human spirit..and yours shines... and shines and shines...thanks for being so open and beautiful with all of this.. and kimball i have never met you...but you rock.! 'GiGi' told me how wonderful you are...so thank you so much for all you are doing!
xo kally
Post a Comment
<< Home