In a nutshell, here's what's going on with Mary:
- She was diagnosed with a brain tumor last week.
- The tumor is located in the midbrain and is inoperable; we don't know yet whether it's malignant.
- She had a shunt placed last Thursday.
- She'll be having open brain surgery in 1-2 weeks, for a biopsy and "de-bulking" of the tumor.
Her spirits are remarkably high . . . in many ways it was a relief to her to learn the cause of her symptoms, and she has a positive outlook. She is deeply moved by all of the love and support she's already received from family and friends, and looks forward to hearing from everyone via this blog. We'll post updates daily (or as close to it as we can get) as we get more information and the treatment course is determined and progresses.
With much love,
Kimball
3 Comments:
Sure wish there were words of comfort at a time like this. Dr. Mary, you have been an inspiration to me since I first met you 2 decades ago. I was a young gay pup, new to the city and brand new to the life of lesbians. Family and society had painted a bleak and scary picture of my future. Then I met Dr. Mary (or, Dr. Girlfriend, I think we called you back then). She was the first professional, maternal, grounded, soulful, older (ok, not by much, but 8-10 years was a generation back then) gay gal I had encountered. Through her I realized that I could step out of the shadows, love and be loved, strive for success and family and stay authentic and true to my passions. As you have always done, it stuck with me that you were purposely and graciously giving back to the community and the universe back then. I hope the two will come together and return the favor. You continue to inspire me -- hang in there, and thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts. Love, Light, Strength, & Hope.
Dearest Mary,
Baby girl! I am so sorry you have this challenge before you. As always, I believe you will handle it with the grace, style, courage and determination you have perfected. I will be sending loving and healing thoughts your way. If I can do anything more, please do not hesitate to call.
All my love,
Margaret
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
My prayers and thoughts are with you both...I send love and light.
C. Mason
Post a Comment
<< Home